Friday, November 17, 2006

PEIWEI - the Asian Diner


Score: 9 with a big smile


My first impression of this Asian diner was very nice.

First of all, I have to say I loved the interior design. The designer sure knows how to create a pleasant atmosphere. It’s such an elegant environment while not lacking a bit of the passionate persona with an open kitchen. You just can’t stop eating and feeling good in that kind of place. Would go back just for this part of it.

Now comes back to the food. I ordered Mongolian Beef and my friend Joe Bob ordered Spicy Korean Vegetables and Tofu. We both had fried rice and shared these two dishes, with a side of Crispy Pot Stickers.

The food was quite good and plenty. I especially liked the way the beef was cooked. Very tender, juicy, and flavorful with the compliment of fresh green onion. I was pleasantly surprised with the Spicy Korean Tofu + Veggies—for which dried Tofu was used—something different than your regular Fuchow take out. However, deep fried tofu or a smoked variety may be a better choice. Not a healthier one but, hey…who am I kidding?

The stuffing for the pot stickers deserves some special attention. Hands down it is the best in town and it is very, very authentic. Nonetheless I would prefer pan fried over deep dried like they were cooked, because without the golden crispy crust at the bottom to die for, they just aren’t really pot stickers …

I have to say the chef was a bit too heavy on the sauce, which could be overwhelming. Less sauce or lighter sauce would allow us to better observe the beautiful flavor and testure of the ingredients themselves. My friend Joe Bob and I both agreed that the sauce was a tad too starchy, which was fine when the food was presented hot, but thickened and starchened shortly afterwards.

Simply put, attracitve, classy, and not too expensive. Just remember to get there early.

How do I get there?

http://www.peiwei.com/thelocation006.jsp?loc=0084&state=ak

Little Rock - University Heights Address:
Pei Wei Asian Diner
205 North University Ave
University Heights
Little Rock, AR 72205

Phone: (501) 280-9423
Pei Wei Take Away: (501) 280-9423
Fax: (501) 280-0856

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home