Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Chip's Barbeque

9801 West Markham, Little Rock.

I have never eaten the barbeque at Chip's. Yes, I know it's supposed to be a barbeque joint and it's probably a pretty good one since it's been around for nearly fifty years.

But I, like many others, go there for other things than the barbeque. I know folks that go just for the potato soup. Some for the huge wedges of homemade pie. Others go for the great, juicy hamburgers. Me? I get the same thing every time I go, so I'm just not too sure what anything else there is like. Sorry.

When I even think about the hickory burger at Chip's, I get that tight feeling at the back of my jaw that accompanies the profuse salivation that coincides with eating something sour. Not that the hickory burger is sour. But it is a large hand patted burger, slathered with a tangy hickory-smoke flavored sauce and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. A combination that can't be replicated in any other way. A combination that elicits a stong Pavlovian response in me. Add to that homemade onion rings, sweet iced tea, and you've got a very satisfying meal.

There used to be three places in town that you could get a good hickory burger: Minute Man, Black Angus, and Chip's. There's a reason why Chip's is still left. This is a great burger.

And, unfortunately or not - however you look at it, I will get the same thing next time I go to Chip's. I guess I will never know if the barbeque is good or not.

December 1, 2006: Update!
Bob Joe and I went to chips yesterday for lunch. Yes, I got the hickory burger, but I also tried the ribs. Snuck a few of Bob Joe's plate. They were good, tender, well smoked. Be sure to use the "hot" sauce in the red bottles as it was just barely spicy enough to cover the bill. The large buttered slices of french bread that come with the barbeque are wonderful. The beans? Not so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home