Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rocky's Pub

6929 JFK Blvd, North Little Rock, Arkansas (501) 833-1077

I don't know why I've waited so long to review this place. We normally go there at least once a week and have for quite some time. It's not that I think it should be kept a secret, that was blown a long time ago and the place stays packed pretty much all the time. It's not because it's unremarkable, it's definitely worth a review - the food is quite good and I really like the folks that work there. So why wouldn't I tell you about it?

Probably because I'm lazy, but let's just say that I just never got around to it until now. Why now? Because the other night when we went in there, I tried something different and was so impressed I felt compelled to write about it. We've tried the Italian food there. It's quite good. The Philly Cheesesteak is the best you can get this side of Pat's Steaks in Philadelphia. [They don't have the hot sauce like Pat's, though :-( ] I love their home made potato chips. But that night I tried the "Rocky's Griller" sandwich. Ham, bacon, tomato, cheese all grilled up on big thick, buttery slabs of Italian bread. I may not eat anything else when I go there ever again. If you've read here for any length of time you know that I'm like that.

Nestled in the Indian Hills Shopping Center along with Kroger and other retailers, you may not find this place on your own. But word of mouth has been a good friend to the Dunlaps, and business is brisk in their little store front.

Rocky's is a good place to have a drink, too. There's lots of regulars there and the repartee between the staff and the regulars is entertaining and you find yourself being pulled into the conversation with them. I've gotten where whenever we want to get take out from there, I don't call it in. I just go sit at the bar, place my to-go order and have a couple of drinks and soak it all in. Pat, the owner (there is no Rocky,) always comes out from the kitchen and greets me by name when I come in. He knows what brand of beer I want to order, and he makes sure that things are running smoothly and everyone is getting what they want.

Mind you, this is not a fast food place. Don't go if you are in a hurry to be somewhere else. But if you don't mind a leisurely pace, friendly (and entertaining) staff, and great food combined in one feel-good atmosphere, this is the place to go. Maybe if enough of us become regulars there, Pat will take over the empty restaurant down the hill where Gabriel's used to be. Then there'd be room for all of us.

Moderate pricing, generous portions, clean, pleasant and friendly. Highest recommendation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home